By Ngozi Nwanji
Through her latest music video, Doja Cat is introducing young girls to the limitless career possibilities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The superstar teamed up with Girls Who Code to release DojaCode, an interactive experience for her latest music video for “Woman,” according to a press release. As the track’s title aligns with the collaboration, DojaCode is an opportunity for a new generation of girls across the globe to get into coding.
“I am so excited that Girls Who Code has partnered with me to make my ‘Woman’ music video the world’s first codable music video,” Doja Cat shared in a statement. “Fans all over the world will get to input code via a microsite and unlock some really cool special features. It’s going to be awesome.”
What’s The Mission Behind DojaCode?
Along with showing young girls the sky is the limit in STEM, DojaCode piques their curiosity by allowing them to explore the creative side of the field. Users on the site are able to use basic coding languages to alter aspects of the music video such as changing nail designs and controlling the sky.
“At Girls Who Code, we know firsthand that girls and young women are some of today’s most powerful creators and change-makers,” said Tarika Barrett, CEO of Girls Who Code. “However, too few know that they can have a career in computer science, and that it can open up an entire future of possibility to nurturing their passions. Learning to code enables you to change the world around you, and we’re thrilled to partner with global superstar Doja Cat, beloved by young people everywhere, as we invite girls to experience ‘Planet Her,’ a place where they get to be in control.”
How Does DojaCode Work?
For fans to enter into the interactive experience, the press release discloses the following steps:
- Fans visit DojaCode to be granted access to “Planet Her” where they can code and alter creative elements of Doja Cat’s “Woman” music video
- Users are then introduced to three coding languages featured on the site
- As the experience continues, users are guided through the process with clear instructions on what to input and how — making it easy and seamless for a beginner
- Users watch as moments in the video change in real-time, based on the coding alterations they have written
- As the video wraps, fans leave “Planet Her” and share all of the scenes they have coded and created