DESOTO, TX – After completing a summer of learning alongside their parents and teachers, the students of the DeSoto Independent School District’s Katherine Johnson Technology Magnet Academy campus are taking a school-wide field trip to the NASA Space center on Friday, August 26, 2022 – the birthday of the campus’ namesake and the legendary NASA mathematician hidden-figure, Ms. Katherine Johnson.
About 400 students, from grades K-8, will load about 8 school buses with their teachers and parents to visually experience the career world of their campus namesake at 5:15 a.m. from the KJTMA campus located at 1200 Academy Way in DeSoto, Texas 75115.
This field trip is a complement to the summer-long learning journey of the school community which included parent learning sessions, student reading based on the book, Hidden Figures, and the summer learning research project presentations.
The goal is to:
- Create a real-world learning experience for students and their families regarding the life and STEM legacy of Ms. Katherine Johnson
- Allow students to see what is possible with STEM careers which is the signature focus of KJTMA.
- Develop a better understanding of the context of Katherine Johnson’s work
- Reflect on what her work means to our school and community
- See themselves through the literature and life of Mrs. Katherine Johnson
The buses were scheduled to leave the campus (1200 Academy Way in DeSoto) between 5:15 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. this morning headed to Houston/Clear Lake.