The DeSoto ISD Board of Trustees has designed a FREE training academy for future aspiring trustees that will provide in-person, collaborative, and interactive training. The Aspiring Trustee Academy is designed for those interested in exploring service as a publicly-elected educational advocate. While DeSoto ISD will host the academy, those in other communities interested in public education service are encouraged to participate in this five-month training opportunity.
Those interested in participating in the first-ever metroplex-wide DeSoto ISD-led School Board Academy require the following:
- Complete the application no later than 5 pm on September 9, 2022
- Attend all academy cohort meetings
- Attend at least one or both of the monthly DeSoto ISD Board meetings
- Attend all DeSoto ISD Bi-Monthly Town Hall meetings
Participants can expect to learn the following:
- Duties and responsibilities of a Board member,
- Appropriate means of advocacy as a Board member,
- Framework for running an ethical and effective campaign,
- Lone Star Governance Framework Foundations,
- Board member Code of Ethics,
- and other relevant and meaningful information related to strong and sound board governance.
Important dates in the application process include:
- Application Opens: August 15, 2022
- Application Closes: September 9, 2022, at 5 pm
- Notification of Acceptance: September 12, 2022
- Trustee Academy Kickoff: September 19, 2022, at 5:30 pm at the DeSoto ISD ISC Board Room located at 200 E. Belt Line Road
Academy Cohort Meetings: All academy cohort meetings will take place on Thursday evenings at 6:30 pm at DeSoto ISD ISC Boardroom located at 200 E Belt Line Rd with the exception of the academy cohort kickoff meeting as noted below:
- Monday, September 19, 2022, at 5:30 pm
- Thursday, October 13, 2022, at 6:30 pm
- Thursday, November 10, 2022, at 6:30 pm
- Thursday, December 8, 2022, at 6:30 pm
- Thursday, January 12, 2023, at 6:30 pm
- Thursday, February 9, 2023, at 6:30 pm
School Board Meetings: Must attend at least one monthly board meeting during the cohort period of October 2022 through February 2023. All board meetings take place on the third and fourth Monday of each month at 6:30 pm at the DeSoto ISD ISC located at 200 E. Belt Line Rd. in DeSoto.
- September 19 and 26, 2022
- October 17 and 24, 2022
- November 14, 2022
- December 12, 2022
- January 17 and 25, 2023
- February 21 and 27, 2023
Bi-Monthly Town Hall Meetings: All DeSoto ISD Bi-Monthly Town Hall Meetings will take place on Wednesday evening at 6:30 pm at DeSoto ISD ISC Boardroom located at 200 E Belt Line Rd.
- Wednesday, September 21, 2022
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022
- Wednesday, January 25, 2023
DeSoto ISD Board President DeAndrea Fleming believes such training will better serve schools and communities in the future.
“We are excited about the opportunity to provide those interested in educational public service opportunities an understanding of effective governance and how student outcomes can be truly improved as a result,” Fleming said. “The goal is to allow those interested in this work to make an informed decision and entry to it so that they can hit the ground running appropriately and effectively.”
For questions or additional information regarding the Aspiring Trustee Academy, please direct questions by email to INFO@DeSotoISD.org with the Subject line: Trustee Academy.