Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

DMN Stories

What we know about the Timberview High School shooting in Arlington

This story, originally published in The Dallas Morning News, is reprinted as part of a collaborative partnership between The Dallas Morning News and Texas Metro News. The partnership seeks to boost coverage of Dallas’ communities of color, particularly in southern Dallas.

At least four people were injured, according to Arlington police.
Timberview High School shooting
Police officials work the scene of a school shooting at Mansfield Timberview High School in Arlington, Texas, Wednesday, October 6, 2021. Four people were injured in a shooting at Timberview High School in Arlington on Wednesday morning, and authorities said the suspect remained at large. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)(Tom Fox / Staff Photographer)

By Nataly Keomoungkhoun

Timberview High School in Arlington went on lockdown Wednesday morning after an active shooter incident was reported there.

Here’s what we know so far.

At least four people were injured

Three people were taken to hospitals and one person suffered minor injuries, Arlington police said.

Tim Ciesco, a spokesman with Arlington police, said a 25-year-old man is listed in good condition.

A teenage female is listed in good condition, and Ciesco said is expected to be discharged from the hospital soon.

A 15-year-old boy is currently listed in critical condition, he said.

The person who had minor injuries declined to be taken to the hospital, police said.

None of the victims’ names were released.

A suspect is in custody

Timothy George Simpkins, 18, was named as a suspect in the shooting, police said.

Simpkins was taken into custody Wednesday afternoon, Arlington police said about 1:20 p.m., and was speaking to detectives.

He faces three charges of aggravated assault. His bond has been set at $75,000.

The shooting may have stemmed from a fight

A fight broke out in a class on the second floor of the school, Arlington Police Assistant Chief Keith Kolbye said. Video circulating on social media showed two males fighting in a classroom, although police could not say with complete confidence that the footage was recorded Wednesday.

Several calls were reported to police about 9:15 a.m. about a shooting. A number of law enforcement agencies responded to the calls, including police from Arlington, Grand Prairie, Mansfield and Mansfield ISD, as well as the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The school was on lockdown until about 11 a.m., Mansfield Independent School District said.

A gun was recovered

Arlington Police Assistant Chief Keith Kolbye said that Grand Prairie police recovered a .45-caliber handgun on England Parkway.

He also said that federal authorities would run ballistic analysis on it to determine whether it was used in the shooting.

Parents reunited with their students

All students — about 1,700 in total — had been evacuated from the high school by around 1:30 p.m., Kolbye said.

Students were bused to the Center for Performing Arts at 1110 W. Debbie Lane to be reunited with their parents, police said.

The district has canceled Thursday classes for Timberview High School.

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Written By


Read The Current Issue

Texas Metro News


You May Also Like

DMN Stories

Absentee voters: The state has modified the envelope to highlight the section requiring the ID number.

DMN Stories

The Republican incumbent has so far spent millions more than his Democratic challenger.

DMN Stories

A justice of the peace court is under scrutiny after an attorney for a Mesquite mother said the court fabricated an eviction hearing notice.

DMN Stories

Abounding Prosperity aims to raise $50,000 for people struggling to meet their basic needs after a monkeypox infection