From Staff Reports
A comedy show, industry speakers, workshops and awards program highlight the three-day Scrub Ball event designed to educate, recognize, and honor unspoken employees in the healthcare industry June 17-19, 2021, at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel in downtown Dallas.
Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson has proclaimed the three-day event as Scrub Ball Weekend in honor of the healthcare workers.
Scrub Ball is being presented by the Cherry Foundation in collaboration with SIPS Consults and CS Assist. The purpose is to recognize members of the healthcare community that are seldom recognized, with an emphasis on their importance to the industry.
“We are very thankful for the Mayor to recognize our efforts. We just saw a need to expand the appreciation and education for those that are often overlooked, and this is our way of thanking them.” said Karen Cherry, founder of the nonprofit foundation bearing her name.
The event is offering Continuing Education Units (CEU) to workers, seminars, workshops, scholarships, and an awards gala. Awards will be given out in five categories that acknowledge healthcare workers and employees of hospitals, nursing homes, and clinics. A snapshot of the weekend:
- Opening Reception
- Deronda Lewis, Scrub Ball Chair
- Karen Cherry, Cherry Foundation
- City, County & State Elected Officials
- Sharyn Combs – An interactive presentation on communication and professionalism
- Anthony Bondon – The Professional Development of Frontline SPD Staff
- Damien Berg – Attitude is Everything
- Jamelle Ross – Not Just Pots and Pans; It’s a Process
- Sharon Greene-Golden – Leading Outside the Boundaries: A Look at Sterilization Processes in “Bangladesh and Tanzania”
- Comedy for Healthcare Heroes Hosted by Rudy Rush
- Plenary Session – Future Standards of Healthcare in a Changing Society
- Round table discussion moderated by Lawayne Perkins and Sharyn Combs featuring:
- Toya White, Chief Operating and Nursing Officer, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, Kaufman
- Akiah Griffin, Manager, Talent Acquisition Sourcing, Community, Collegiate & Diversity Talent Initiatives, Parkland Hospital
- Karen Cherry, CEO, Cherry Foundation
- Donnie Payne, CAO, SIPS Consults
- Scrub Ball Awards Gala Hosted by Rudy Rush
- Featuring Guest Speaker: Sylvia Trent Adams, Senior Vice President and Chief Strategy Officer, University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth
- Award categories include:
VIVIEN THOMAS AWARD:
Dr. Vivien Theodore Thomas was born in Lake Providence, Louisiana in 1910. In an era when institutional racism was the norm, Thomas was classified, and paid, as a janitor, even though by the mid-1930s he was doing the work of a postdoctoral researcher.
This award will honor an entry level employee that through hard work and determination worked their way through the ranks and is today considered a leader in the health care field.
An employee who works to create broader understanding of the workplace, reduce workplace tensions and frustrations, and helps develop effective peer support roles. Selected by their peers for teamwork, attitude, attendance, and willingness to be a key Team Player.
UNSUNG CHAMPION AWARD:
Someone or something that provides a great benefit, has done incredibly good work has performed some outstanding deed or functions, but has not received the credit or recognition they deserve. Highlights the person that always saves the day, steps up when needed, comes to work when others do not.
SCRUB B. AWARD:
An employee that brings a smile to everyone on the team, always works to boosts team morale. Their consistent positive attitude makes a huge difference for the team. They are the first to volunteer and just having them on the team makes all the difference.
THE CHERRY HEALTHCARE HEART AWARD:
An outstanding leader who is often recognized as the problem solver. They understand the need for policies and regulations and work hard to comply. Employee displays strong work ethics, are trustworthy, reliable, and admirable. They offer critical thinking and interpersonal communication skills that often eliminates issues before they occur.
Registration is limited and may be purchased online through www.scrubball.org.
“We are bringing all of the different elements of what is important in the healthcare industry to one special time and place on an annual basis,” said Scrub Ball Chair Deronda Lewis, who added that the 2022 event will be held at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in partnership with the City of Dallas.
Contributing partners of the Scrub Ball include: WFAA TV, Texas Metro News, Estrella Media, Urban One, SIPS Consults, CS Assist, BeliMed Infection Control, City of Dallas, Rightfit Network Solutions, Parkland Hospital, Visit Dallas and MedWell Solutions.